Here are the author’s reasons for quitting social media:
1. You are losing your free will.
2. Quitting social media is the most finely targeted way to resist the insanity of our times.
3. Social media is making you into a [jerk].
4. Social media is undermining truth.
5. Social media is making what you say meaningless.
6. Social media is destroying your capacity for empathy.
7. Social media is making you unhappy.
8. Social media doesn’t want you to have economic dignity.
9. Social media is making politics impossible.
10. Social media hates your soul.
Pretty sure he’s right on all counts. I hate the idea that my social media use is making someone else money, that big companies are spying on me and then marketing to me with the information that I’ve freely given up all rights to keeping secret.
It is a time waster for the most part and during the times that I take the apps off of my phone I am way more productive. I fully agree that social media is making it near impossible to have a fair election in the United States and well, it’s just all around terrible for everyone but the people making money- except for cat pictures, they are the best.
If all that is true, what do we do? Nothing will change until we all sign off. What did I do? I took my Instagram private, stopped posting on FB, and because it is my main networking tool I check Twitter only twice daily. It’s a start anyway.